Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kowloon and The Star Ferry - Hong Kong

Until I started writing this post I had not realised how long ago it was that I had written about our last trip to Hong Kong, last December when I shared photos of Pacific Place.  Time for sure then to continue with some more Travel Tales from Hong Kong.


One morning we decided to head for Kowloon and visit one of the museums that are worth saving for a rainy day, which it was. So far we have only visited one The Hong Kong Museum of History which was fascinating, we learnt so much about the history of Hong Kong and the exhibits are very well presented.  I highly recommend a visit if you are in Hong Kong wondering about what to do in the rain!  Unfortunately no photographs as my camera decided to give up on me that particular morning. Luckily there are many photography shops in Kowloon so we were able to buy a battery charger for the camera as our travel charger had packed up, hence our discovery that we had no life in the camera battery whilst at the museum!


We also purchased an extra battery so were able to take photos that afternoon as the weather had brightened up. Kowloon  is an urban area in Hong Kong comprising the Kowloon Peninsula and New Kowloon located north of Hong Kong Island and south of the mainland part of the New Territories.  Together with Hong Kong Island, it contains 48 percent of Hong Kong's total population.


We took a stroll along the harbour side, where in the late afternoon we took The Star Ferry back to the island.






You might spot the subject of a previous post amongst these photos. The Peak - Hong Kong as I have included buildings on the island viewed from the Kowloon side of the harbour.  Did any of  you recognise the statue, as Bruce Lee?














A trip on The Star Ferry that plies the harbour between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon is a definite must do for anyone visiting Hong Kong.  To read more about the history I recommend a visit to this link, but briefly The Star Ferry is one of Hong Kong's most famous attractions which provides an inexpensive way of crossing the harbour and enjoying some spectacular views of the harbour, Kowloon waterfront and Hong Kong island  at the same time.  The service has been in existence for over 130 years and currently 12 ferries operate on two routes, plus harbour tours on the boat in the photo at the start of this post.


Central (Central Ferry Pier 7) to Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon Point) - 9 minutes journey 
Wan Chai to Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon Point) - 8 minutes journey 










Finally on our walk back to our daughter's appartment we passed the Apple Store and a bus that reminded me of a famous British brand, now sadly I believe out of business.








.If you prefer to view the photos in the individual formats you are welcome to visit my album Travel Tales - Kowloon and The Star Ferry - Hong Kong  at Flickr.com.


For more information the following links are worth visiting : The Hong Kong Museum of HistoryThe Star Ferry and Kowloon - Wikipedia


With thanks to Hong Kong Extras Website and Discover Hong Kong for some of the information included in this post.

14 comments:

  1. Great images of what must have been a phenomenal trip!
    Thank you for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what wonderful photos Hong Kong sounds like an interesting place to visit I really did enjoyed these photos I didn't realise the statue was of Jackie Chan till I read that it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the ferry from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon too but did not visit the Bruce Lee's statue this time round cause already visited during my past visit to HK. Lovely shot of Bruce Lee's statue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice spotted my unfortunate mistake as did someone else who kindly let me know!
    My sincere apologies it seems I may have got my personalities muddled up but this link did not help!
    http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/4233581

    It now seems this is Bruce Lee which shows how much I know about these actors! Sorry everyone for confusing and misleading you into thinking this was Jackie Chan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there, done that, but thanks for the distant memories. I do not know one actor from another so it is all the same to me :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindy, hahaha it is okay cause I grew up watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan's movies. Next time they will put Jackie Chan's Statue there but now Jackie Chan is still very much alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindy, I love all of your photos. How I would love to ride that Ferry one day. I think the only Ferry I have been on was from Washington to Canada. I really enjoyed it. Oh no, just thought of another Ferry ride. One off of San Francisco. Anyway, your trip looks like it was fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs and the fantastic place. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are my fave actors Bruce lee and Jackie Chan..yohoooo! I believed you had a wonderful time in Hongkong..thanks agin for sharing this lovely post...and for your visit..me and my blpogs truly appreciate it..have a lovely weekend too!

    Travel Euroasia
    Europe Travel Pad
    Countryside Trip
    Travel Snapshots

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope I can recapture these photos myself. We are leaving in a week and will be exploring the whole China for three weeks. Our last three days will be in Hongkong. Thanks for all the helpful info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend invited me to stay in Hong Kong but I have not taken her up on it. Maybe I should. I never knew Jackie Chan was connected with Hong Kong. One of my kids used to be obsessed with his movies, and had a huge poster of him on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the collages! Pretty cool that your daughter has moved to such a wonderful and picturesque place. (Like us, I'm sure you'd have a wonderful time visiting no matter where she lived, but I love that my kids live in places I'd want to visit even if they weren't there!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We didn't see the Hong Kong Museum of History when we were in Hong Kong last trip but we are going there again December so I'll make sure we add it to our list!

    I love the picture you have used in your header-I recognised it straight away!

    Thanks for the great post-I am so excited about our next trip to HK now!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Travel Tales and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate your support, which is a great encouragement to me and reading them is always a pleasure. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me and followers a follow back. I will respond to questions here but not reply to every individual comment due to time constraints, a problem we all have.